Emergency & Critical Care
CUVS has received certification by the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society (VECCS) as the highest level facility in veterinary trauma, emergency and critical care. We have 3 critical care specialists and 24/7 state-of-the-art care, and are the only VECCS level-1 certified hospital in the tri-state area.
When your pet hurts, you want experienced emergency staff.
You want renowned critical care specialists & state-of-the-art equipment.
You want people who care.
We've got it all, 24/7.
At Cornell University Veterinary Specialists, our doors are always open. We are proud to offer world-class Emergency and Critical Care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We understand that pet emergencies are stressful and upsetting; our experienced team is here to help with knowledge and compassion.
One of the most dramatic changes in veterinary medicine in the past 15 years has been the tremendous advancement in the field of Emergency and Critical Care (ECC). With the development of ECC as a specialty, we have profoundly advanced our ability to manage emergent, critical, and complex cases. With this ability has come the realization that, properly managed, many pets survive conditions that were previously considered fatal.
You can feel secure knowing that CUVS offers:
- Specialist coverage 7 days per week. Board-certified ECC specialists are in the hospital every day, managing emergency and ICU patients and consulting on cases internally and externally.
- 24-hr coverage. Criticalists and ER doctors work intimately together to provide seamless care and communication 24 hours a day.
- Experience. Our Emergency Service is staffed by board-certified ECC specialists and experienced ER doctors, NOT interns or students. Their experience and expertise provides perspective, and the ability to react quickly, in a field where perspective and quick decisions are critical.
- Outstanding nursing care. Our licensed veterinary technicians are specialty-trained and experienced. Many are veterinary technician specialists, and renowned in the field.
- State-of-the-art. Our ICU and our ER are equipped to provide the highest quality of veterinary medical capabilities available, including:
- Critical care monitoring - continuous ECG, oximetry, capnography, direct and indirect blood pressure monitoring, coagulation testing, colloid osmometry, arterial blood gas and lactate analysis.
- Oxygen supplementation, nebulization, pleural evacuation and mechanical ventilation.
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition.
- Multimodal analgesia (pain control), including continuous infusion and epidural techniques.
- Advanced fluid and electrolyte therapy, and blood component transfusion therapy.
- Thoracostomy and tracheostomy tube placement and management.
- Emergency surgery
- 24-hour diagnostic imaging, such as digital radiology, ultrasonography, and computed tomography (CT scan).
- Cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation, defibrillation, and advanced post-resuscitation support.
Conditions that can benefit from an ECC specialist:
- Trauma (traffic accidents, falls, bite wounds etc.)
- Respiratory compromise or distress.
- Sepsis (severe, systemic infection)
- Bleeding disorders
- Acute kidney failure
- Heart failure
- Liver failure
- Unstable diabetes and other endocrine disorders
- Fluid accumulation in the abdomen or chest
- Adverse chemotherapy and drug reactions
- Toxin ingestion
- Urinary obstructions
- Foreign body ingestion
- Severe or unrelenting vomiting or diarrhea
- Seizures and status epilepticus
- Immune-mediated diseases
- Heat stroke, near-drowning, envenomation.
- Burns and smoke inhalation.
- Deterioration of chronic conditions.